The post-Roe landscape in the United States has made interpreting local abortion laws into something that feels like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle. Currently, abortion is permitted with no regulations in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, and Vermont.
If you’re a North Carolina resident and are considering an abortion, read the following information.
Is Abortion Legal in the State of North Carolina?
Abortion is currently legal in the state of North Carolina up to 24 weeks gestational age, which is considered the point of viability. There are several qualifications to receive an abortion in the state:
- Minors must have parental, guardian, or judicial permission.
- Informed consent must be given at least 72 hours before the procedure.
- An ultrasound must be performed and available for viewing purposes.
- There will be no abortion access on the basis of gender preferences.
- Women are provided information regarding medical assistance for continued care (should they continue with the pregnancy).
- A woman may withdraw her consent at any time, before or during the procedure.
Where is Abortion Banned?
Abortion is almost completely banned in currently 10 states (although more are subject to change depending on state legislatures and court rulings).
There are exceptions in each of these states for various factors, including incest, rape, the health or life of the woman being endangered, etc. Each state has its own exceptions, but all seem to make provisions for the woman’s life and/or health.
Other states have restrictions (like Florida’s 15-week ban), but it’s an ever-changing landscape as each state decides what its abortion access will be. Restrictions will be decided through the court system, legislature, or the ballot box.
If you’re still trying to decide what is the right choice for you, the best first step is to schedule an ultrasound.
An ultrasound can verify your pregnancy’s gestational age and location, which can let you know what you are (or are not) eligible for.
At our center, we also offer no-cost pre-abortion screenings where you can meet with our discreet and compassionate staff, discuss your pregnancy options, and learn about what resources might be available.
You do not have to walk this journey alone, so contact us today for a consultation or ultrasound!